To setup ASAP to recognize the Bookstore module you need to create a folder on the network named BookImages. The path to this folder will need to be put into the database info table.
Open the database info table by clicking on Setup, Time Periods, the Maintenance button at bottom of the screen and then click on Database Info.
1. Line 213 Yes (or No) Use Bookstore Module
2. Line 818 \\server\asap\ Path to the BookImages folder
If the numbers are on the table just complete the second column with the data needed. If you need to
add these numbers to the table, go to the last blank line at the bottom and type the number in the first column, the location of the folder (or Yes for line 213) in the second column and the description as shown above in the third column. Close out of the database table when you have finished.
In order for the Bookstore to show on your Application Menu when you log into ASAP you will need to add it to your user levels.
- Close ASAP
- Login with user name and password, then click on Admin button (you must have System Administrator rights to have access to the Admin button).
- Enter the password.
- Click the 'Go' button to the left of 'Set up Applications and Paths'.
You are now on the screen that allows you to assign applications to different user levels.
In the center of the screen is 'Add/Remove application to user group'.
- To the right of this title is Application Name and a window with a pull-down arrow. Select 'Inventory-Bookstore'.
- Select the user level you want to have access to the Bookstore module. (Example: System Administrator).
- Click on 'Add Application' button at the right.
- Follow the directions for #1, 2 and 3 above for each user level you want to have access to the Bookstore. Close out of ASAP completely when finished.
Before using the Bookstore you will need to enter your book inventory in Manage Books.
- Click on Books.
- Manage Books.
- You may enter Authors and Publishers by clicking on the buttons at the bottom of the screen. If you want to enter this information as you enter the book data you can skip the authors and publishers.
- Click on the 'Authors' button.
- Enter Name, Description and Sort Order for any authors you put in to the table. The description and sort order are optional.
- Click on the 'Publishers' button.
- Enter Name, Description and Sort Order for any publishers you put in to the table. The description and sort order are optional.
- Click on Manage Books, and then click the New Record button at the bottom of the screen next to the exit door.
- Enter the fields as shown on Book Details. It is best to enter as many fields as possible for details of the book information. Quantity and Minimum to Keep are the current inventory count and the minimum number of books you want to keep in stock at all times.
- Enter the order information whenever you place a new order for stock.
- The note field can be used for any information you want to enter on the book or order details.
- To download an image of the book you can click on 'Download Image' and the website will be searched for the ISBN number you have entered on the book details. Once an image is found, right click on it and click the 'Save picture as' and then save it in the BookImages folder on your network.
After you have entered books they will show in the Book Details main screen. You will be able to search for books by any word in the title or the ISBN number.
At the far right side is a button 'Sell/Loan'. If you click on this it will bring up a screen for you to enter the sale or loan of the book to a student. The same screen can be opened by clicking on Books on the left and Students on the right.
- To find a student you can search for their name or ID number at top left of screen. Type in name and hit enter and a list of the students with that name will come up â€“ select the correct one by clicking on the pick button at the far right of the line. You can also search for the student by typing in the first few letters of their last name and using the pull-down arrow to find them on the student list at the top right of the screen.
- Once a student is selected the name and ID number will fill in on the Student Book screen.
- Select the book they are buying or borrowing by typing (or scanning) the ISBN number or type in the title and use the pull-down to choose the book.
- Click Sell or Loan at the far right of the book line.
- SELL: clicking on sell will create an invoice for the purchase price of the book and a regular payment screen will open. Enter the payment amount and method and click OK. This created a receipt that paid for the book (invoice).
- LOAN: clicking on loan will bring up a box asking for the date the book is to be returned and the quantity of books with this title that were borrowed. When the student returns the book you will open the student record and click on the Return button. The program will ask if the book should go back into inventory â€“ click Yes and the date returned will show on the student screen.
If your school tracks the books loaned to teachers for use in their classes you can use the Bookstore to keep these records.
- From the main screen, click on Teachers.
- To find a teacher you can search for their name or ID number at top left of screen. Type in name and hit enter and a list of the teachers with that name will come up â€“ select the correct one by clicking on the pick button at the far right of the line. You can also search for the teacher by typing in the first few letters of their last name and using the pull-down arrow to find them on the teacher list at the top right of the screen.
- Type in the ISBN or any word in the title to find the book needed â€“ hit enter.
- Clicking on loan at the right of the line will bring up a box asking for the date the book is to be returned and the quantity of books with this title that were loaned to the teacher. When the teacher returns the books you will open the teacher record and click on the Return button. The program will ask if the book should go back into inventory â€“ click Yes and the date returned will show on the teacher screen along with the quantity returned.
- If the teacher returns more of the books at a later date simply open the teacher screen and click the return button again and enter the date and quantity and they will be added to the original return amount.